The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Society was first organized in 1959 and accepted as an Affiliate Society by the American Psychoanalytic Association, a national organization devoted to psychoanalytic practices and education the following year. It became a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in 1961.
The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Institute was formed in 1964 by a group of psychiatrist-psychoanalysts, primarily from the University of Pittsburgh, and the Institute operated under the umbrella of the University. In 1974, the Institute became an organization independent from the University, and in 1975 became a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
From 1978-1983, The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Center provided pro-rated fee therapy to adults, adolescents, and children who could not afford private psychoanalytic psychotherapy. The staff was comprised of 10-15 well-qualified psychotherapists who were supervised by psychoanalysts. The Center was supported by the Staunton Farm Foundation and patient fees.
In early 2001, The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Society was merged into the Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Institute, with the resulting corporation renamed the Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Society and Institute (PPSI).
Affiliated organizations include the Pittsburgh Coalition for Dynamic Psychotherapy (PCDP) that has provided low-cost psychoanalytic psychotherapy services to the community at large since it was established in 1995, and the Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Foundation (PPF), founded in 1988, which provided analytic educational programs to the Mental Health Community and the Pittsburgh community and raised funds to support both the PPSI and PCDP.
A merge took place between PPSI and PPF in July 2007, and the new organization is the Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Center. This consolidation is intended as a way to improve efficiencies, decrease operating costs, and provide a stronger and clearer message in order to provide more care and help to the public at large.